Beautiful Art Made on Coffee / Lattes
To a coffee drinker, there’s not much better than the first sip of a hot coffee made just the way he or she likes it. But, there is one thing that can and does indeed make that special coffee more enjoyable… Beautiful works of art on top of the coffee!
Smack Downs / Latte Art Design Contests are relaxed and fun competitions where anyone who is willing can show off their skill at pouring coffee / latte art. These events are now held regularly in coffee houses all over the United States.
Make yourself a coffee drink of any size, but be sure it has a shallow cap of soft foam on top. (This is typically called a cappuccino. A coffee with a hard foam cap is called ruined!! ) Next, let the frothed milk rest for 30 seconds or so, prior to pouring. A layer of soft foam will form automatically. Do not attempt latte art until you get the soft foam surface. Then, slowly start pouring your milk to create your masterpiece! (Detailed instructions below.)
How To Create Coffee Art – Detailed Steps:
- Turn the handle of the coffee cup to the left and turn the saucer away from you if it has lettering. The setup should be facing the person being served if at all possible.
- Let the frothed milk sit 10 to 20 seconds.
- Next, tilt the cup towards yourself until it is close to spilling. The more the tilt, the more quickly the milk will mark the surface (rather than sinking out of sight), making for a more detailed design.
- Then, you will slowly start pouring the milk at the lower end (closest to you) until you see a cloud of white billowing up.
- For a heart design, move the pour towards the center, and move it side to side.
- For a rosette design, move the pour to the far end and zig zag it towards your end.
- Then, you will end the pour with a very light stroke away from you to the far end of the cup.
- As you pour the milk, level (untilt) the cup smoothly so nothing spills onto the sides of the coffee cup.
- That’s it. You’re on your way to creating marvelous works of art in your coffee!!
Image Sources: Coffee de Amour, Happy Dog, Paul Stevenson, Live Atlantis, Jim Forest, minzkind, Mark von Minden, Pacific Bay Coffee, DaseinDesign, Kingstonist, Kuba Bozanowski, Storm Warning, Pankaj, Rochelle Hartman, Ella Phillips, Heather, Ariane, Michel, Jet, Chris Blakely, Magic Robots, Saucy Pan, Ben, SunriseOn7.