Classic Drinking Moments in Movies
August 5th of 2011 marks the fourth anniversary of International Beer Day, a holiday devised by a handful of California locales who felt that people around the globe weren’t devoting enough time to celebrating the act of drinking… well, beer.
So, in honor of this glorious Beer Day, here are five classic movie scenes that also teach valuable lessons about life via the act of imbibing alcoholic beverages:
- Mick Gets Intimate With Donk in Crocodile Dundee (1986)
- Paul Hogan’s iconic Australian wildman may be a relic of the 1980s, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand proper bar etiquette. Case in point: while attempting to cause Steve Rackman’s Neanderthal-ish Donk to spill a mug of beer held atop his head, Hogan’s Mick Dundee comes up with a simple solution – just kiss the lug.
Lesson Learned: Make love, not beer-fueled war, especially when you’re in Australia.
- Miles Finds Out His Book Deal Has Failed in Sideways (2004)
It’s an unofficial rule abided by academics that when you first submit a paper for publication, you should always have a bottle of Scotch handy to drink away your woes, should it be rejected. Sadly, Paul Giamatti’s would-be author, Miles, has to settle for a bowl full of unfinished wine samples at a California vineyard.
Lesson Learned: Wine-fueled drunken antics are only fun when you’re wearing tacky clothes.
- “Pink Elephants On Parade” in Dumbo (1941)
Remember when you were a kid, sitting at home, watching Disney’s classic animated movie about the young elephant with ears the size of manhole covers? Recall how suddenly he got drunk and went on a pre-1960s drug induced psychedelic trip? Yeah, that was weird.
Lesson Learned: Champagne plus tub water equals LSD. If you’re an elephant, at least.
- Marion’s Drinking Contest in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
All you need to know about Indiana Jones’ lady love is laid out in this scene. She’s a rugged gal with a heart of gold, runs a rustic saloon in the remote regions of Nepal for kicks, and can drink the boozing patrons of her own establishment under the table while barely blinking an eye. How exactly did she end up giving birth to Shia LaBeouf again?
Lesson Learned: Don’t assume that just because your opponent is Karen Allen, you’ll be able to outdrink them.
- The Big Lebowski (1998)
Yes, this is technically a cheat, but when it comes to Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski and his adoration of the delicacy known as a White Russian – 2 parts vodka, 1 part coffee, 1 part cream, served with ice in a low ball glass – isn’t it all just one big scene, man?
Lesson learned: The Dude abides by well-churned alcoholic concoctions.